“I always need new clothes,” – me every morning when I look in my closet. And I certainly felt this way last month. Since we had 3 weddings in May, I decided to mix things up and give Rent the Runway (RTR) a shot! I have a few friends that have used RTR in the past for both one off rentals as well as taking advantage of their monthly membership. Between the two types of rental options, I’ve have only heard good things. So it was a no brainer signing up for a monthly membership to get access to new items for all my May events. So for those of you who have not heard of or tried RTR let’s break it down.
What is Rent the Runway
RTR is the largest designer closet that is personalized for you as you rent items. They have over 700 designers, sizes ranging from 00-22, items with a retail value up to $3,500, and new arrivals added every week! It almost sounds too goo to be true, but it’s legit!
How it Works
You can use RTR a couple of different ways. If you’re not feeling the commitment of a monthly plan and just need to rent one item, you can actually pay to rent just that one item. But if you’re anything like me, and looking to spice up your wardrobe each month, you can sign up for one of their monthly memberships:
- Start by picking 4 Items (this can include accessories)
- Style and wear your items for as long as you want
- Swap or buy any of the items you have. You are not required to make any purchases, but if you fall in love with something, you can purchase the item at a discounted rate. Otherwise you can return your items in the reusable garment bag and request more items in your next shipment.
Types of Memberships
There are 4 types of memberships to pick from and you can pause or cancel them at any time.
- 4 items per month with 1 shipment is $69 trial month ($89/month after). Note, you only get access to the Basic closet whereas the other memberships have full closet access
- 8 items per month with 2 shipments is $99/month for 2 months ($135/month after) – This is the one I’m currently signed up for
- 12 items per month with 3 shipments is $129 /month for 2 months $174/month after
- 16 items per month with 4 shipments $149 /month for 2 months $199/month after
All memberships include:
- Free Shipping & Returns – All orders arrive in two days or less and come with a prepaid return label.
- Quick Turnaround Time – Let RTR know which items you’re sending back and instantly rent something new.
- Find Your Fit – Their revolutionary fit tools help you find the right size. But each membership includes one Free Fit Do-Over, just in case.
- Dry Cleaning & Rental Coverage – RTR dry cleans and sanitizes every item after each use for no added cost. They also cover any minor tears or spills because accidents happen!
- Members-Only Sales – Get first dibs on designer deals and exclusive discounts on purchases.
- Packaging With Purpose – Orders arrive in their patented, reusable garment bags. Each item is sealed and protected in dry-cleaning bags, which they recycle.
My favorite Items
Here’s a glimpse of my top 4 favorite Items I’ve rented so far:
My Experience – First Month
I mentioned earlier in my post that I’ve only heard good things about RTR and that’s what helped me make the decision to give it a try. Since I was unsure how items were going to fit, I decided to order 4 gowns in my first shipment. Before clicking “adding to my bag,” I stalked all of the reviews and images that other members have posted. Since I was looking for a few floor length gowns, the reviews helped SO much. I was able to get an idea of which gowns were way too long and which ones seem to be just right. To my luck I found exactly what I needed!
RTR also does a good job in suggesting what size might work best for you in each brand. In my second shipment I ended up ordering more dresses, but since I was still loving the Ralph Lauren and Shoshana dresses I ended up keeping those all month long.
My Experience – Second Month (so far)
As for my second month, I just received my first shipment the other day. Since I have no events this month, I decided to get some bright, fun pieces for summer. So far I’ve tried on the Red Floral Printed Dress and Magnolia Ruffle Front Blouse. Needless to say I’m OBSESSED with these items. Especially the top. It’s unlike anything I have in my closet and fits me like a glove! Not going to lie, I was kind of hoping to be able to justify the price of the top so I could buy it, but due to the designer, it’s still out of my price range. I might just have to keep this top for another month or two. The perks of renting!
If you’ve tried RTR before let me know in the comments below!